Welcome to Reception
I hope you have all had a lovely summer. I hope that your children will have a fantastic first year at school and settle into their new routine quickly.
The first half of the term is all about getting to know your children, and finding out where they are in their development and learning. We will be learning about ourselves and getting to know each other. Once the children have settled into school, we will be learning about dinosaurs!
This half term the children will be focusing on numbers: counting, and recognising numbers up to 10.
Literacy: We will be learning about ourselves. We will be talking about what we like, don’t like, talking about our families and describing our features.
Phonics: We will be starting Read Write Inc on Monday. At the end of each day, I will send home copies of the sounds that the children have learnt over the week. Please encourage your child to have a go at writing and remembering the sounds.
PE: This term the children will be doing music and movement, football and yoga.
The children will be doing PE both indoors and outdoors and will need a PE kit in school at all times. Please make sure that all of your child’s clothing is named.
Every Tuesday afternoon the children will be doing outdoor learning. We have a class set of waterproof trousers. Therefore, the children will only need an appropriate coat, fleece or waterproof depending on the weather. Each child will need a pair of named wellies please.
Reading: I have sent home a reading record book and a picture book. Please encourage your child to retell a story using the pictures. Please make a comment in their reading record book or just sign to show they have read at home. Once the children have learnt the first set of sounds: m a s d t I will send home a reading book, to practice sounding out and then blending to read the words.
Tapestry: Our online learning journal will be up and running very soon. The website is https://tapestryjournal.com/
Very shortly, you will receive an email to enable you to create a password.
For your information: If someone different is picking up your child at the end of the day, please can you speak to a member of staff, email, phone or write a message and put it into the book bag. Many thanks.
Please come in and see me if you have any concerns about your child or if you just want to find out how they are getting on.
The Reception Team,
Mrs E Skelton, Miss Sampson & Mrs Shipton
• Look at books and listen to stories
• Use phonic knowledge to decode regular words
• Be secure at Phase 4 phonics
• Read Phase 2, Phase 3 and Phase 4 tricky words
• Identify rhymes and alliteration
• Join in with rhyming patterns
• Read and understand simple sentences
• Demonstrate understanding when talking with others about what they have read
• Make basic predictions
• Identify the start and end of a sentence
• Know the alphabet and link letter names to the sound they make
• Know the difference between a capital and lower case letter
• Learn some simple rhymes and poems by heart
Speaking and Listening
• Use complete sentences to explain or describe things
• Listen carefully to what is being said and repeat this if needed
• Know not to interrupt when someone else is saying something
• Stand up in front of others and re-tell something that has happened to them
• Use phonic knowledge to write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others
• Write name (correct capital and lower case)
• Use capital letters and full stops to demarcate sentences
• Write clearly demarcated sentences
• Use a correct pencil grip
• Correct formation of all letters
• Count reliably to 20
• Count a number of objects by pointing to/moving each one as they count
• Recognise numbers to 20
• Order numbers 1 – 20
• Say 1 more and1 less than numbers to 20
• Add and subtract two single digit numbers
• Form all digits 0-9 correctly
• Know the names of the days of the week in order
• Begin to recognise and name common 2D shapes, e.g. square, rectangle, circle and triangle
• Begin to recognise and name some 3D shapes, e.g. cube, sphere, cylinder, cone
Grimley and Holt C of E Primary School,
Copyright © 2020 | Grimley & Holt C of E Primary School, All Rights Reserved | Designed by Joe Burton